Monday 14 September 2009

Gluten-free "chocolate truffle tarts" from Tartelette

The other day I read that Helen of www.mytartelette.com (who I have already gushed over once on this blog) was experimenting with gluten-free recipes. I was embarrassingly excited about this. I'm pretty enthusiastic about gluten-free baking because my dad, brother, aunt and granny are coeliacs.

I cycled over to Mill Road, which has a high concentration of Asian supermarkets, and tracked down potato starch, rice flour and sorghum flour (juwar). It wasn't super easy - a lot of my queries were merely met with quizzical looks and good luck wishes for my future gluten-free missions. An aside: I really really like Mill Road. Before I move away for the new academic year I will try and take my camera down there and attempt to convey on here some of the reasons for my affection for the area.

The recipe for the chocolate truffle tarts is here and it is accompanied by dreamy photos and presentation that put me to shame.

The recipe is fun and the only thing I can think to complain about is my own lack of experience with pastry. I'm keen to try again with more care. Despite my insecurities, they went down really well and lasted a flatteringly short amount of time.

Here are some photos. I just downloaded Picasa, the evidence of which can be seen in the dodgy tweaking I performed on these earlier. I know the soft focus is silly, but it makes me chuckle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment