Sunday 9 August 2009

Picnic At Hanging Rock

These are from the 1975 Australian film Picnic At Hanging Rock. I took a few cheeky screen-captures because I find the dresses and general mystery-in-1900-atmosphere really beautiful. The film, based on the book of the same name, is set on Valentine's Day, 1900 in South Australia. Students from a prestigious, all-girls, boarding school make a trip to the "geological phenomenon" Hanging Rock. As the theatrical poster promises "some were never to return".

picnicathangingrock4
picnicathangingrock3
picnicathangingrock
picnicathangingrock28
picnicathangingrock27
picnicathangingrock26
picnicathangingrock25
picnicathangingrock24
I swear I tried to be selective with these images! But seriously! I don't know how to resist such pretty details on the flowing white fabric...the boaters; parasols; dainty lace-up witchy booties with black tights..and all the nature!
picnicathangingrock23
picnicathangingrock21
picnicathangingrock20
picnicathangingrock17
picnicathangingrock15
picnicathangingrock14
picnicathangingrock13

In fact I think I have a few more on Flickr, but I'll restrain myself from completely overloading this post with pictures of the poor, doomed schoolgirls and their beautiful outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment