Tuesday 5 May 2009

A Dedication to Little Brown: MIGAAAS!

For dinner tonight I made Migas à la The Pioneer Woman! 

Migas belonged in my life way before tonight and I shall long mourn those days that we were parted.

To summarise, migas consist of: lightly scrambled/fried/omeletted egg, red onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, cheese and crispy fried tortillas!


I would post some pictures from The PW's website, but if you don't click on that link and see them for yourself I will force death by asymmetry on you (ask Little Brown how this works).

The great thing about the recipes on that site is that they're so easy to follow and adjust to your tastes or quantities. And you shall always be guided by Ree's stellar photos!

Some English-student-ifying notes:

I already had some tacos so I didn't buy tortillas. I fried them quickly anyway to up the crispiness and the saltiness. Little Brown and I reckon you could use tortilla crisps too. 

The recipe calls for 10 - 12 eggs (!) but I would just halve the amount you usually put into scrambled eggs. I used 3 and, by the halfway line, was too full to finish. 

I also didn't have a jalapeno at hand (being deathly afraid of them and all) so I just sprinkled in a very cowardly amount of chili flakes. It needs the jalapeno. Since giving up meat I've been more and more taken with spiciness.  Do not let me skimp next time. 

Ummm what else? If (when!) I make this for my carnivourous beau I think I will include some cubed chorizo. It doesn't need it, but if you're going to miss meat then a bit of chorizo would be a hit.

Other recipes I urge you to try:

Italian bacon drummettes - These are, yeah I'm gonna say it: DIVINE. Seriously! Please please please make this dish. I no longer can due to my current situation of self-inflicted meatlessness. But I can still peer and sniff over your shoulder while you stir it. Oh yes.

The Best Lasagna Ever - That's PW's title, but I am inclined to agree. My attempt involved too much mozzarella in the end - just a warning. It supposedly requires something called Jimmy Dean's pork breakfast sausage. Geh? I did some sleuthing and substituted it with the second recipe on this page.

Twice Baked Potatoes - soft, billowy cheesiness polka-dotted with spring onions and bacon, encased in crispy, starchy goodness. 

The PW will often use Lawry's Seasoned Salt. Again: geh? I fear this is a USA-bound product. Just get an empty spice jar, fill it with the following and mix it up good: 2 tablespoons salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 onion powder or onion seeds, 1/4 garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch. Season away folks!

This ended up being a love letter to The Pioneer Woman. Go make those migas and you'll know why.

1 comment:

  1. Your previous post looks delicious!<3 The blue coat is from Kenzo;)

    ReplyDelete