Saturday 25 April 2009

Ya vas lyublyu

Sedgwick: Danny, do you speak Russian? 
Danny: A little, but only one sentence. 
Sedgwick: Well, let me have it, mate. 
Danny: Ya vas lyublyu. 
Sedgwick: Ya ya vas... 
Danny: Lyublyu. 
Sedgwick: Lyubliu? Ya vas lyubliu. Ya vas lyublyu. What's it mean? 
Danny: I love you. 
Sedgwick: Love you. What bloody good is that? 
Danny: I don't know, I wasn't going to use it myself.

(The Great Escape, 1963)

Time for a great escape. My captors tonight are the remaining 2183 words of an essay due in on Monday afternoon. Ruthless. Sadly it is my fault for wandering sleepily into their trap 4 weeks after the assignment was set.

Means of escape being considered:

1. A pair of Repetto ballet flats (created by a guest artist in celebration of Repetto's 60th anniversary) embellished with feathers and the power of flight



2. A shimmering Desert Queen. Priscilla!


3. Catbus



And now, I really feel the best way to choose between the three (read: procrastinate further) is to compose a different outfit for each scenario. Fantastic! Let's get to it!

1. For floating wispily away to a meadow:






  • An Edwardian tea dress (from Honey Childs Vintage on eBay)
  • Hazy, seductive glimpses of pink lace through white lace, by Elle Macpherson
  • Molly Ringwald's ear. No seriously. I remember when I first watched 'Pretty in Pink', that flower through her ear amazed me. There's a lot of interesting fashion in the movie, but that flower is what left the biggest impression on me. If I owned that dress I'm sure I'd only ever want to accessorize it with flowers.
  • Well, and 8 rings and 4 bangles..
With magical shoes I'd float away to Cottingley to be among the fairies at the bottom of Elsie and Frances' garden (remember that film Fairy Tale: A True Story?)



Resting with the fairies I'd sleep for twenty years Rip-Van-Winkle-style. However, on awakening I'd find much more glamourous consequences had arisen, thanks to the flowers' enthusiastic siege and subsequent occupation of my sleeping form:


Or, in this case, Tanya Dziahileva's Mcqueen-S/S-'07-catwalk-stamping form.



2. For blazing through the desert with two drag queens and a grieving transsexual:







  • All black out of respect for Bernadette's bereavement
  • Swimsuit of my dreams by Anthropologie
  • Strappy beauties by Celine. Check out the detail at the base of the heel!
  • Eyelid adornments by Shu Uemura
  • Hair and cigarette holder by Holly Golightly
2b) For drinking cocktails and breaking into song atop beautiful martian anomalies of geography:





  • Carrie Bradshaw's Something Blue by Manolo Blahnik
  • Philip Treacy for Alexander McQueen S/S 2005
  • Shu Uemura
  • Marchesa
2c) If I were a drag queen, this woman would be my inspiration:


Marchesa Luisa Castrati dressed for a fancy dress party in 1920's Paris. 

Castrati was a notorious diva who wrought a decadent kind of havoc in various luxurious mansions throughout Europe. It wasn't unusual to see her in the company of blinged up cheetahs and servants dressed only in gold leaf. 

2d) Fallback option for drag-queen-accompanying attire in hot climate:



No matter the outfit, no doubt this scenario would climax with the descension of numerous John Waters characters and cheekily named midday cocktails.

3. For careening through the Japanese countryside in the most environmentally friendly, most kawaii vehicle:






3b)



I've really outdone myself and not only lost motivation for my essay, but also lost motivation for this post. Oh to be young and in ennui. 

Also, I still can't really make blogspot do what I want. Look at this underlining! How did this get here!?

1 comment:

  1. Missus, I need those blue platform shoes right now. I think they would go vrey well with a nice new shiny pashley princess bike :)

    ReplyDelete