Thursday 23 April 2009

Playful tangents

Today's adventure in procrastination is courtesy of style.com's Coachella slideshow.
In particular, this image here:
The space-age sunglasses make the outfit worth capturing. Other than that, something about the way it's been put together is hurting my head. The glasses are probably meant to look retro, but they reminded me of Flash Gordon more than anything. Wait, I guess that is retro. Anyway they're credited as "limited edition Miss Dior Cherie", which, when pasted into Google, doesn't yield much.



It did give me an excuse to watch this again though:


Sofia Coppola directed the commercial (starring Maryna Linchuk) some time last year, but it's hard to think of it as advertising anything...except perhaps intense lust and jealousy? And an inspiring, wholly unfounded nostalgia (despite spending a year in Paris I did very little frolicking. Except that one time, fuelled by 50c SU beer, along the esplanade and into the arms of a statue of Winston Churchill). 

The combination of that familiar ethereal lighting and the splendid rows of cakes (the ones I wish I could wear as jewellery) really reminds me of both The Virgin Suicides and Marie Antoinette. The shot of Maryna in the car has got to be more than a coincidental reference to these:




I restrained myself and didn't post that picture of Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette. I might secretly watch the trailer again though. The one I gorged on for months before the film was released, the one that showed me there was more to New Order than just Blue Monday.

Back to Miss Dior! Coppola's song choice reminded me that it had been too long since I listened to France Gall!

This is France's (the country not the person..no wait..both..argh) 1965 Eurovision entry





And the dangerously prolific combination of Wikipedia, Google and Youtube presented me with this! A video of Gall's Japanese version of Poupée de Cire which has made me ludicrously happy!


Here's the fellow who wrote that song:
And here they are together:


My next tangent would be, obviously, Bonnie and Clyde. That's already got me thinking about ceramic guns by Charles Krafft which will lead to this post no longer being playful and I think that, at first anyway, I should attempt to stick to one adjective for each post.

No comments:

Post a Comment